Monday, May 23, 2011

Sad. . .

A friend of mine (D) at work had a daughter (T) that was seriously ill, and diagnosed with terminal cancer in February, though I did not find out until March. I talked to my friend in April to ask if there was anything I could do, but of course, there wasn’t, so I offered to make a chemo cap and that made my friend happy that I thought of her. I thought about D and her daughter all weekend and bought some trinkets that I thought D’s grandchildren might like, just to make them smile for a few minutes. I should have called D because her daughter died Friday night. I am very sad that D has lost her only daughter, I am sad that T’s children will have to grow up without their mother, and I am sad that it took me so long to complete the cap. T was only 44 and was way too young to die from such a horrible disease and her children are too young to be without a mother.
I am going to figure out how to learn to knit faster, I want to be able to finish a cap quickly; but I am also going to make a stash of Chemo hats for when I might need them, too many people are needing them lately and I have not been able to keep up as I knit so slowly.
If anyone has any ideas on how to knit more quickly, let me know, I need all the help I can get.

2 comments:

Grace said...

so sorry for the loss of your friend's daughter.

Knitting hats fast, pick an easy basic pattern---a stockinette hat with roll brim, use size 10 needles first a circular (16") then go to dpns as you reduce and use very soft yarn. I did a lot in fun fur, and they were funky and fun, but a nice soft yarn like Lion Brand Amazing would work too. Hope that helps!11

Toni said...

Oh no, I am so sorry about your friend's loss.

I've been stockpiling chemo caps for a few months now. I got the pattern and yarn from Elann.com. They have several free patterns for chemo caps.